Student Solemnly Declares “I will watch the lecture recordings, I swear it!”



THE HAGUE –  Reports came in today as area law student Miles Hamilton left the 6th lecture of European Public Law. Stating in his words ‘It’s so late, I’m tired, it’s boring and let’s face it I wasn’t learning anything. I might as well just watch it at home’ When asked about his reckless behavior and self-destructive habits he simply stated “European fundamental rights? How about my fundamental right to watch this lecture whenever I damn well please?”

Slipping out of lectures to watch them at later dates isn’t a new phenomenon. With the use of online streaming, students have found it easier to catch up with lectures or to simply rehash on parts they misunderstood. However, the comfort of watching lectures at home has gone into the heads of many students.

European Public law for example, has seen particularly low turnouts recently due to the fact that it is recorded. It is no secret that classes that aren’t recorded have a higher level of student retention in lecture halls. The students have fallen back in to their old regimes and continue to procrastinate. All good intentions that were stated in the beginning of the year seem to have been thrown out the window.

These students will justify their earlier departures from lectures by saying self-assuring statements such as “If I can watch 2 seasons of ‘How to Get Away with Murder, I can totally watch 4 Intro to Law lectures, no problem’’

It turns out binge watching people exercising their fundamental rights in court, isn’t as fun as actually studying them. Who knew?  

Comments